1. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a paper towel. Remove the stems and chop them fine.
2. Pour 1/4 cup hot water over the dried mushrooms in a small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Place a sieve lined with a double thickness of cheesecloth over a small bowl. Empty the dried mushrooms mixture into the sieve. Reserve the strained liquid. Thoroughly rinse the mushrooms under cool running water to remove sand and grit. Squeeze mushrooms dry.
4. Heat 1 tablespoons oil along with 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet over medium heat until the butter is foaming. Stir in the shallot and garlic. Cook until the shallot is softened, about 3 minutes Add the minced mushroom stems and dried mushrooms. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the mushroom stems are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Pour 4 tablespoons of the broth, the wine and the reserved mushroom liquid into the skillet. Boil until the liquid is almost entirely evaporated, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon oil along with another tablespoon of butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until the butter is foaming. Add half the mushroom caps, stem side up. Saute, shaking the pan, until the caps are browned, about 4 minutes. Remove the mushroom caps to a shallow baking dish in which they will all fit snugly. Repeat with the remaining caps, using the 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining butter.
7. In a small bowl, toss the breadcrumbs with the remaining tablespoon oil.
8. Divide the stuffing among the mushroom caps. Top the stuffing generously with breadcrumbs. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons broth to the dish.
9. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake the mushrooms until tender, about 25 minutes. (Check the dish halfway through baking. There should be enough liquid to prevent the mushrooms from sticking, if not, add a couple of tablespoons of broth.) Remove the foil and bake until the breadcrumbs are dry, about 10 minutes. Serve hot. Serves 6 - 8
Per Serving: 132 Calories (67.6% from fat); 10g Fat (3g Sat, 5g Mono, 1g Poly); 2g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 12mg Cholesterol; 196mg Sodium. Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 2 Fat.