|Maharaja Chicken w/Spicy Rice and Peas
| "My family does not eat dairy products and meat at the same meal, so making a curry-style dish with traditional Indian ghee (clarified butter) simply does not work. Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a delicious alternative and, unlike ghee, it doesn't burn."
5 tablespoons COLAVITA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 pounds onions sliced 1/2 inch thick
6 chicken breast halves, skin removed
2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups, canned o.k.)
1 large white onion, chopped fine
2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
Rice and Peas
1 tablespoon COLAVITA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups cooked and cooled white rice
1/4 teaspoons turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup peas, thawed if frozen
Fresh chopped cilantro
Prepare the chicken:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and fry until lightly browned. Remove onions and set aside.
3. Add chicken to skillet and brown. Place chicken in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
4. Combine the rest of the chicken ingredients in the skillet. Mix well; simmer for about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken; pile fried onions on top; cover with foil and place in oven. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until cooked through.
Prepare the rice and peas:
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until just beginning to brown.
2. Add the rice and turmeric; saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cumin, cayenne, lemon juice, water and salt. Stir well; cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes.
3. Add peas; cook, uncovered for 5 minutes more.
Serve chicken and sauce over rice; garnish with chopped cilantro.
Per Serving: 419 Calories (33.8% from fat); 16g Fat (2g Sat, 13g Mono, 2g Poly); 32g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 644mg Sodium. Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.